Terms & conditions
View the terms and conditions for entering the awards - or print terms and conditions by clicking here.
The owner and promoter of the 2018 Voyager Media Awards is the New Zealand Newspaper Publishers’ Association (NPA), 39 Market Place, PO Box 2941, Auckland 1140, New Zealand.
1.0 Time frame
Entries may be submitted any time from 12 noon Thursday, December 14, 2017 to midnight on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 (NZDT). The system will automatically prevent entry submission after the deadline. All entrants MUST enter online, including for newspaper, magazine and trade/specialist publication categories.
2.1 To be eligible for entry, all entries must bear cover dates from the 2017 calendar year. For example, a magazine that appears on newsstands or reaches subscribers in late December 2017 but has a cover date of January 2018 is not eligible (it will be eligible for the 2019 media awards). The same rule applies to journalists’ work appearing in print. A publication that appeared in December 2016 but had a January 2017 cover date is eligible.
2.2 Digital entries must be published within the 2017 calendar year. Best News Website or App and Website of the Year will be judged live during March 2018.
2.3 Your entry must have been published during 2017 in a recognised form of New Zealand newspaper, magazine or website. Qualifying media include:
· Daily and weekend newspapers
· Regional, community or suburban newspapers
· Magazines sold at newsstand or by subscription, or a combination of both*
· Free magazines with a minimum editorial content of 25%. *
· Newspaper-inserted magazines.
· Specialist and trade publications and/or websites*
· News and current affairs websites
* Eligible publications must appear at least twice per year and must target a mass audience. Publications comprised largely of native advertising or advertorial without editorial content, will not be eligible.
Eligibility for all award categories will be at the sole discretion of the NPA.
2.4 Entrants must be either New Zealand citizens, permanent residents aged 16 and over or students on a working visa and living in New Zealand at the time the work was published. This includes New Zealanders working overseas.
2.5 One entry per person, team, publication/title, or website per category, unless otherwise specified.
2.6 While you can enter as many categories as you want, you are not able to enter the same piece of work into multiple categories, otherwise you risk being disqualified. However, entries from specialist categories can also be entered into the following:
· Best (single) news story
· Best Feature Writer – junior
· Best investigation
· Best photo - junior
· Best Reporter – junior
· Best videographer - junior
· Business Journalist of the Year
· Community Journalist of the Year
· Environmental/Sustainability Award
· Feature Writer of the Year (long & short-form)
· nib Health Journalism Scholarship - junior & senior
· Opinion Writer of the Year
· Photographer of the Year
· Political Journalist of the Year
· Regional Journalist of the Year
· Reporter of the Year
· Reviewer of the Year
· Science & Technology Award
· Sports Journalist of the Year
· Student Journalist of the Year
· Videographer of the Year
The same story can also be submitted to both the best investigation and best (single) news story categories.
A story entered into the Best innovation in digital storytelling (team entry) category can be entered by the journalist into one other specialist category as well as Best investigation and Best (single) news story, and as part of a portfolio for Reporter of the Year, Best reporter – junior, Feature Writer of the Year (long and short-form), Best feature writer - junior, Business Journalist of the Year, Community Journalist of the Year, Regional Journalist of the Year, Political Journalist of the Year, Sports Journalist of the Year and Student Journalist of the Year.
2.7 Entries must meet all the entry criteria set for the relevant award category. There are unique criteria for each category.
2.8 Entries and information contained within any entry must have been obtained legally and must not infringe any copyright or other intellectual property rights, must not be defamatory or breach any privacy law, and must not breach any other law or regulation. Eligibility for all award categories will be at the sole discretion of the NPA.
2.9 The junior categories are open to individuals who have been employed in the publishing industry for two years or less at the time of publication. However, you are not restricted from entering other categories.
Student journalists, including interns, can enter any category, including Student Journalist of the Year, Best feature writer - junior and Best reporter – junior.
3.0 Entry process
3.1 Entrants may provide a statement of support giving background to their entry. Each category has a specific word maximum. Please refer to the entry criteria.
3.2 Material must be supplied as follows:
· Stories should be pdf format or, if digital, a direct website link to the story
· Photos should be in jpg, jpeg, tif or tiff format and have captions within the file name.
· Videos should be m4v, mp4, mpeg4 or mov format. Interactive graphics scan be uploaded as a URL in the statement of support or a page pdf as an attachment.
· Artwork/graphics should be ai or eps format
· Interactive/motion graphics can be uploaded as a URL in the statement of support or a page pdf as an attachment.
· Cartoons should be in jpg or pdf format
Maximum file size is 400MB per piece.
Please give attachments an appropriate name that depicts what the entry is about.
3.3 For categories where hard copies are required to be posted in, these hard copies will not be available for return to entrants.
3.4 All those who have made a significant contribution to the entry should be listed in the entry with one person nominated as the contact.
3.5 Entries in languages other than English must be accompanied by a translation into English.
If at any time you wish to change the use of your personal information to which you have consented, please contact email@example.com.
4.1 Personal information
The NPA may collect personal information about you in the following ways:
· Any data which you provide when you register on its website (s)
· Any data which you provide when you sign up to receive email communications
· Any data which you provide as part of your entry to the Voyager Media Awards
· Any additional transaction with us – either written, by phone or email
4.2 Storage and retention of your information
4.3 Use of Your Information
The NPA may use your personal information for the following purposes:
· to respond to any inquiry you make;
· subject to your consent, to send email communications regarding the Voyager Media Awards.
· The NPA and/or its authorised agent, and sponsors may display or use your entry to promote the Voyager Media Awards throughout New Zealand and overseas.
· Cartoonist of the Year entries may be displayed on a complimentary basis at the Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington.
5.0 Naming rights sponsor
5.1 Subject to (5.3), by entering these awards, entrants agree that in the event that they are named a finalist or winner of any category, they must acknowledge the naming rights sponsors’ support of the awards in any report or publicity about their success. This might include the publication of the Voyager Media Awards logo on their masthead or website but only if there is a clear reference to the category in which they were a finalist or a winner.
5.2 Subject to (5.3) by entering these awards, entrants of the Newspaper of the Year categories, Magazine of the Year or Website of the Year categories agree that in the event that they are named a finalist or winner of such categories, they will publish the Voyager Media Awards logo at least once in the relevant publication together with a clear reference to the category in which they were a finalist or a winner. This might include publication within a banner on the newspaper front page, magazine cover or website home page.
5.3 Despite the above, entrants may be required to remove or cease using the Voyager Media Awards logo, or to cease referring to the naming rights sponsor where the NPA considers, at its sole discretion, that the association of its brand or logo with any particular award category, award or entrant is not in the organisation’s best interests, commercial or otherwise. However, entrants may state they were a winner or finalist in the Voyager Media Awards in a particular category to the extent this is true. By entering the competition, entrants agree to comply with any direction of the NPA or the naming rights sponsor in relation to the use of the Voyager Media Awards logo or any other use of the naming rights sponsor brand.
Agreement of terms and conditions
Entrants must agree to the terms and conditions when submitting an entry on the Awards Force website.
If an entrant is found to have breached these terms and conditions, the NPA reserves the right to remove or withdraw an award or to disqualify an entrant.
Last updated January 16, 2017 at 1.30pm